Saturday, February 2, 2013

JJ's Recap of 7 miles

Jaontra recapped our 7 mile run today.  When I asked her how she felt running 7 miles as soon as she finished she wrapped it up pretty accurately for me as well when she said, "The first 5 miles were great but the last 2 were unnecessary."  Well said, JJ, well said.

This Saturday, we were instructed to run seven miles. The entire week I was a little nervous since this was a two mile increase from the week before and to make things even make exciting we had to be up and ready to run at Lake Merritt at 8:15 in the morning. I had gone on three extra runs throughout the week, but seven miles just seemed like a big challenge. I got up in the morning earlier than usual on Saturday and went to eat breakfast. Then I changed into my running clothes and my running shoes. Once I was ready I waited around for my friend Ana Laura to pick me up. We arrived at the lake at 8:10 and it was a lot colder than usual. Despite that, we still had to check in do our morning stretches and set out in our pace groups. Once the run started I was completely surprised we were at a nice, steady, easy pace. I didn't have any side cramps and I wasn't even breathing hard. I reached the one mile mark and told myself there were only six more to go. Normally by the time I was at one and a half miles I would be heavy breathing or moving way ahead of my pace, but this time I was perfectly fine it felt like I could go on for miles and miles and I did just that. I finished my second mile, my third mile, and then turned around to go back around the lake for my second lap. I still felt good and I wasn't tired one bit. I joined a pair of other runners who are in the Running for a Better Oakland (RBO) program and kept pace with them until my fifth mile until one of the girls had to stop to tie her shoe. This was the challenge. The first five miles were so easy it didn't even feel like I was using any energy. It all just came so natural but each step I took after that fifth mile became such a challenge. I kept my same pace, but I could feel my body getting more and more tired. I just kept telling myself, "No walking. You cannot walk." That inspired me to keep going and that I did I completely my second lap around the lake and as a passed by I heard Lalo and Mrs. Schoolers cheering me on. This inspired me to keep going and finish my last mile I had to go half a mile out and come back. That half way mark seemed to take forever to reach, but I got there, by this time I was heavy breathing, but I kept going. When I was almost done I saw Ms. Hernandez cheering me on and this gave me the little bit of energy I needed to run up the hill. Lalo was waiting there to give me a high five and I was done. I completed my seven miles, running and it felt like the greatest thing I had ever done. I had completed more the half of the half-marathon distance and I was very proud of myself and everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment